Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Lesvos, Day 4, 5 & ?

I'm losing track of the days. Not like it was when I was a kid around Christmastime. I guess I need an advent calendar. I just got off a shift that went from 4am to 2:30pm (it was supposed to go until 3:30, but I slipped out early). I think that was a scheduling mistake, but with all the activity this morning, I wasn't going to make a fuss. There have been boats coming in every morning between 7am and 9am. It is a coordinated effort of lookouts and cell phones. Each shift has a camp manager to direct the volunteers. I like to take the initiative to stand at the refugee entrance. It is beyond the exit, so it can be confusing. I direct them to the gravel path leading to the clothing tents and WCs. I say "Welcome" and "Hello." These people are so happy despite being wet and cold (It is very cold in Greece right now even if you are not wet). Some have no English. You can see their gratitude. This morning I got kisses from some of the women. If you shake their hands, they feel like ice. We had three campfires going. The men take off their wet shoes and try to dry them by the fire, but there isn't time for that. They'll be moving on to stage 2 within the hour. I'm going to sign off for now. Julie is back from camp and we are going to eat our first meal today. We did nosh on snacks also distributed to refugees at the camp.